It feels like we’ve had something to do or some place to be nearly every weekend in 2017. From weddings to birthday parties out of town, day drinking dates with friends to dinners out. This weekend should have been no different – we had plans to surprise Ryan’s cousin for his birthday in Tallahassee (about 4 hours north of us) and spend the weekend up there.
And then, as luck would have it, poor Ryan woke up feeling super sick Friday morning. Our plans kind of unraveled, and for the first time in what feels like forever, I had a weekend laid out in front of me with literally zero plans. So I made them up as I went along, and it’s shocking how great a weekend can be when you suddenly have nothing on your schedule.
Our plan-less weekend consisted of:
- A halfway decent Thai shrimp soup. My first time attempting to make a fancy soup, and I think I’ll keep hunting for better recipes.
- Pinot noir. If you know me, this is a big step. I’m a white wine drinker, through and through.
- A quick and easy brunch shift. With school, it can be tough for me to help coworkers out when they need a shift picked up. Since my Saturday was wide open, I had plenty of time to make extra cash.
- Homemade grapefruit margaritas and Pizza Hut pizza. Shortly after getting out of work Saturday afternoon, I looked at my phone and read a text from Ryan: “Pizza tonight?” Be still, my heart. YES. Pepperoni and jalapenos, please.
- The farmer’s market and brunch with a good group of girls. Hyde Park Village (or what I call the Rodeo Drive of Tampa) hosts a farmer’s market during the first Sunday of every month, and while I normally don’t buy much, I splurged a bit. I scooped up an overpriced loaf of roasted red pepper bread, a giant tub of spicy pickled green beans, and a big mason jar full of homemade Fra Diavolo pasta sauce. Necessary? No. Delicious? Obviously. And of course, we brunched at a new little Mexican spot.
- Catching up on Homeland and Big Little Lies. Homeland is finally past its notoriously slow part of the season and it’s getting crazy. I loved Lianne Moriarty’s Big Little Lies, and I’m absolutely adoring the on-screen adaptation with some of my favorite leading ladies (Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, etc.). If you’re on the fence about starting it up – DO IT.
- Long workouts. I make sure I get to work out during the week, but I’m a bit of a procrastinator, so sometimes I feel like I’m rushing through my workouts. It was nice to take a bit of extra time on the cycling bike and not have to worry about how I’m going to style my sweaty hair before heading into work!